Skip to main content area

My kind of place(s)

  1. I’m obsessed with the local: I had a short-lived personal writing project about Mission intersections and think Inner Mission Honey vs. Mission Dolores Honey sounds about right.
  2. I think constantly about storytelling, at least inasmuch as poems are stories–and mine very much are.
  3. I like making things that help people be creative online.

I spent almost four months traveling this year and almost as much time trying to decide how to document it. Then, not too long after I got back, I had the opportunity to start working closely with some people I’ve admired for years building something that’s all about stories and about places we remember or imagine.

The project has been secret until today. And the biggest milestone of our announcement is that we don’t have to say we work at a “startup” anymore because that word obscures everything that we love about the product: as Caterina puts it, technology should bring people together, and she’s managed to assemble a team that believes in that.

So: I’m proud to say I’m part of that small group of incredibly talented people building pinwheel.com findery.com.

Pinwheel Findery is about your relationship with the places in your life. We don’t want to typify that so we can put it in our database–we want to help you express it. I can’t wait to see where that goes.

One weekend we went to see Sarah, Kate, and Nile play in Bolinas (with Big Eagle and Little Wings); camped in the yard or slept in our cars; staved off hangovers with a big breakfast; and took a walk on the beach.

This is why I live in California.

Missed.

tylr:

I’m pretty sure craigslist missed connections are the most poetic thing going on in modern culture.

“A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn’t think he’d remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn’t see me at all, but I’ll bet a month hasn’t gone by since that I haven’t thought of that girl.”

Citizen Kane 1941

(Reblogged from Tyler Love.)

The biggest boozers are mostly found in Europe and in the former Soviet states. Moldovans are the most bibulous, getting through 18.2 litres each, nearly 2 litres more than the Czechs in second place.

Brendan linked me to the above Economist chart on global alcohol consumption. Interesting, but looking only at per-capita drinking habits is misleading—almost a third of Americans abstain. If you look at the WHO data for just US drinkers (aged 15 and over), the US comes in at 14.43 litres per capita, right up there with France (14.85, drinkers-only) and Denmark (14.38), and with a comfortable lead on, say, Germany (13.39).

Spain is another country whose average is pulled down by all its abstainers: take them out of the picture and Spaniards are killing it with 21.13 litres per drinker. That puts it in league with Moldova (23.39 per drinker), which is ranked number one overall only because almost no one abstains.

This way of looking at the stats also hides the most at-risk drinkers in the world: in Bosnia, where more than half the population abstains, the remaining drinkers are responsible for 55.99 litres each. Holy crap.

Anyway, all of this is going to be very helpful planning my upcoming trip to Europe.

(Addendum: This is particularly interesting in the Muslim world where drinking is prohibited. While 98% of Egyptians claim to have not touched a drink in a year, the other 2% were on a year-long bender, consuming 33.64 litres each.)

“Whenever it fell upon me my blood ran cold, and so by degrees, very gradually, I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye for ever.”

Whenever it fell upon me my blood ran cold, and so by degrees, very gradually, I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye for ever.”